Northern and Eastern Odyssey- 12 Days 11 Nights Tour
Northern and Eastern regions is a unique opportunity to explore the country’s untamed wilderness, vibrant culture, and complex history. The region was long inaccessible due to civil unrest, but has now emerged as a fascinating destination for intrepid travelers. In the North, you’ll discover ancient cities and UNESCO World Heritage sites such as Anuradhapura and Polonnaruwa, as well as lush green landscapes and wildlife reserves. Moving East, you’ll find pristine beaches, idyllic lagoons, and colourful fishing villages. The region is also home to the vibrant Tamil culture, with its own language, cuisine, and traditions. Along the way, you’ll experience warm hospitality and encounter locals who are eager to share their stories and heritage with you. The Northern and Eastern Odyssey of Beyond Getaways Travels promises to be an adventure of a lifetime that will leave you with memories to treasure for years to come. Cultural Tours in Sri Lanka
- Perfect for : Solo Travelers/Families with younger children as well as with Teenage Children / Couple Travelers / Leisure Travelers/Group Travelers
- Hotels : 3 Star Hotels / 4 & 5 Star Hotels, Resorts, Boutique Hotels, Bungalows or Villas
- When to travel : All around the year
- Tour Price : On Request Cultural Tours in Sri Lanka
*This itinerary can be customized based on your interests and time constraints. Also, note that the attractions’ visiting hours may vary, so it is always advisable to check beforehand.
DepartureFrom Colombo Airport/Colombo Fort or Negombo.
Departure TimeAs required
Return TimeAs required
Dress CodeCasual, comfortable and light
Day 01 - Arrival | First Day by the sandy beaches – Negombo
- Arrival at Colombo International Airport
- You will be welcomed and greeted by our tour guide at the arrival lobby of Colombo International Airport.
- You will be transferred to famous beach town – Negombo for your first day. It is a 20 minutes drive from Colombo International Airport
- Check- in to your hotel Negombo
Overnight in Negombo
Day 02 - Roaming the Jungles: Game Drive of Wilpattu National Park
- After a relaxing day by the beaches of Negombo, on your second day, you will be transferred to the Largest National park in Sri Lanka, ‘’Wilpattu National park’’ for an adventurous safari to witness the true wilderness of Sri Lankan jungles – 4 hour journey
- Embark on a 3 hour private game drive to Wilpattu National Park where you get a big chance to spot Sri Lankan Leopard, Sloth Bear, Asian wild elephants, crocodiles, monkeys and different species of birds.
*Overnight stay in Wilpattu
Day 03 - The Heart of Sri Lankan Civilization: Anuradhapura's Legacy
- After an adventurous day at the wilderness of Wilpattu,you will be transferred to the heart of Sri Lankan Civilization- the UNESCO World Heritage site, ‘’Anuradhapura Ancient City’’ – 1 hour journey
- Discover the ancient marvels and legends of Anuradhapura- 3-4 hour comprehensive guided tour
Anuradhapura is a fascinating ancient city located in the Northern region of Sri Lanka. It is known for its remarkable collection of archaeological and architectural treasures, which showcase the rich history and cultural heritage of the country. This ancient city was the first capital of Sri Lanka and remained for 1500 years, leaving behind a legacy that is still evident today. Anuradhapura is home to an impressive array of temples, stupas, monasteries, and palaces that were built by various Sri Lankan kings over the centuries. Many of these structures have stood the test of time and continue to awe visitors with their intricate carvings, ancient art, and imposing scale. Anuradhapura is also a significant religious site for Buddhists, with several holy sites such as the Sri Maha Bodhi tree, which is believed to be the oldest living tree in the world.
*Overnight stay in Anuradhapura
Day 04 - Northern Delights: Exploring Jaffna
- Start another beautiful day. After having a delicious breakfast at your hotel, leave for the Northern Part of Sri Lanka, ‘’Jaffna Peninsula’’- 4 hour scenic journey
Jaffna is a vibrant city located in the Northern province of Sri Lanka, known for its rich cultural heritage, unique cuisine, and pristine beaches. It is a city that has seen its share of adversity, having been affected by the country's long-standing civil conflict, but it has managed to rise above it and emerge as a thriving destination for tourists. Jaffna's vibrant culture is a blend of Tamil, Sinhalese, and Muslim influences, and its unique cuisine is a testament to its rich history. Jaffna is also home to several important religious and cultural sites, including the Nallur Kandaswamy Temple, which is one of the most significant Hindu temples in Sri Lanka. The city is surrounded by stunning beaches, which offer visitors a chance to relax and unwind in a tranquil setting. A visit to Jaffna is an opportunity to discover a city that has faced adversity but has emerged as a vibrant cultural hub that celebrates its heritage and traditions.
- Check-into your hotel in Jaffna, take a break
- In the afternoon, Start to explore Jaffna
- visit the fascinating “Jaffna Fort’’
Jaffna Fort is an impressive 17th-century fortification located in the heart of Jaffna city in Sri Lanka. It is a testament to the rich history and cultural heritage of the region and stands as a symbol of resilience and strength. The fort has survived numerous battles and invasions over the centuries and continues to awe visitors with its imposing walls, intricate architecture, and historic significance.
- Visit the most sacred Hindu Temple in the north, ‘’Nallur Kandaswami Hindu Temple’’
- Visit the historical “King Sangilian’s Minister’house’’
- Visit the National Museum of Jaffna
*Overnight stay in Jaffna
Day 05 - Island Escapade: A Journey to Delft & Nagadeepa Islands | Explore Delft Island by a tuk tuk
- After breakfast, start the journey to the isolated Island ‘’Delft Island’’- 1 hour drive from heart of Jaffna to Punkudutivu.
- From Punkudutivu, take a Ferry to historical ‘’Nagadeepa Island’’ where you visit one of most sacred Buddhist Temples in Sri Lanka, ‘’Nagadeepa Buddhist Temple’’
Nagadeepa Island is a small but significant island located off the coast of Jaffna in Sri Lanka. It is revered by both Buddhists and Hindus for its sacred temples and ancient legends. According to legend, Lord Buddha visited Nagadeepa and mediated there, leaving behind a legacy of spiritual significance. The island is home to two important temples, the Nagadeepa Purana Vihara Buddhist Temple and the Nagapooshani Amman Hindu Temple, which are popular pilgrimage sites for devotees. The island also boasts beautiful beaches and tranquil surroundings, making it a serene and peaceful destination for visitors seeking a spiritual retreat.
- After visiting Nagadeepa Island, continue the ferry ride to Delft Island – 1 hour boat ride
- Explore the isolated Delft Island by a tuk tuk with a local tuk tuk driver from the Island.- 2 hour expedition
Delft Island is a small and remote island located off the coast of Jaffna in Sri Lanka. It is known for its unique landscapes, wild ponies, and historic landmarks. The island is sparsely populated and is home to several ancient ruins and temples that offer a glimpse into the island's rich history and cultural heritage. Visitors can explore the island on foot, bike, or motorbike, taking in the stunning natural beauty and unique features that make Delft Island a one-of-a-kind destination. From its scenic beaches to its fascinating landmarks, Delft Island offers visitors a chance to escape the hustle and bustle of modern life and experience the simple pleasures of a remote and peaceful island
- After an amazing island expeditions, you will be transferred back to your hotel in Jaffna.
*Overnight stay in Jaffna
Day 06 - Eastern Escape: Beach Serenity of Trincomalee
- Travel to the sandy pristine beaches of the Northern coast of Sri Lanka, ‘’Trincomalee’’ – 4 hour journey
Trincomalee is a beautiful coastal city located in the northeast of Sri Lanka. It is renowned for its stunning beaches, picturesque natural harbors, and rich cultural heritage. The city is home to a range of historic landmarks, including ancient temples, forts, and monuments that tell the story of its fascinating past. Trincomalee is also a popular destination for whale watching, with visitors from around the world flocking to its waters to catch a glimpse of majestic blue whales and other marine creatures. With its combination of natural beauty, cultural richness, and exciting wildlife experiences, Trincomalee is a must-visit destination for anyone looking to explore the unique wonders of Sri Lanka
- Check-into your beach hotel in Trincomalee
- Unwinding on the sands
*Overnight stay in Trincomalee
Day 07 - Ocean's Giants and Island Delights: A Trincomalee Adventure
- Start another beautiful day in Trincomalee
- Embark on a whale watching Tour to spot the ocean giants- The season for whale watching is from month of June to September
- Boat Ride to the small isolated island, ‘’Pigeons Island’’ – The paradise for Scuba diving and snorkeling.’
- Embrace the calm of the sandy beaches while tasting fresh sea food and cocktails
*Overnight stay in Trincomalee
Day 08 - Beach Escape: Relaxing day by the Beach
- Enjoy a full day relaxation by the beach
*Overnight stay in Trincomalee
Day 09 - Echoes of the Past: Exploring the Magnificence of Polonnaruwa Ancient City | Discovering wild Side- Minneriya Safari
- Leave from Trincomalee after breakfast and proceed to the Medieval capital of Sri Lanka, the UNESCO World Heritage site, ‘’Polonnaruwa Ancient City’’ – 2 hour journey
- Discover the ancient marvels of the ruined city of Polonnaruwa – 3 hour comprehensive Guided tour
Polonnaruwa is an ancient city in Sri Lanka, known for its well-preserved ruins and relics from the country's medieval period. Once the capital of Sri Lanka, Polonnaruwa is now a UNESCO World Heritage site and offers a fascinating glimpse into the country's rich history and cultural heritage. Visitors to Polonnaruwa can explore its impressive temples, palaces, and monuments, including the Royal Palace, the Quadrangle, and the Gal Vihara. The city is also home to beautiful parks and gardens, as well as the Parakrama Samudra, a massive artificial lake that was built over a thousand years ago.
- After the guided tour of Polonnaruwa Ancient City, enjoy a delicious Sri Lankan traditional lunch.
- Proceed to Minneriya National Park for 3 hour game drive to experience the wild side of Sri Lanka.
Minneriya National Park is a wildlife sanctuary located in Sri Lanka, famous for its large herds of wild elephants that roam freely within its boundaries. The park is situated near the ancient city of Polonnaruwa and is a popular destination for safari tours, offering visitors the chance to see a diverse range of animals, including leopards, sloth bears, sambar deer, and a variety of bird species.
- After an amazing and adventurous jeep safari tour of Minneriya, you will be transferred to your hotel in Sigiriya
*Overnight stay in Sigiriya
Day 10 - Rising Above: The Majestic Sigiriya Lion Rock | Rural Rhythms: Exploring Village Life in Sigiriya
- Start your day after having a delicious breakfast at the hotel. On this day, you will explore the most visited and the most iconic heritage site of Sri Lanka, ‘’Sigiriya Lion Rock’’ – 3 hour comprehensive guided tour.
Sigiriya Lion Rock is a UNESCO World Heritage Site located in central Sri Lanka. It is an ancient rock fortress rising 200 meters above the surrounding plains, featuring intricate water gardens, frescoes, and other architectural marvels. The rock is named for the lion's paws that once flanked the entrance to the fortress, now weathered away. Visitors can climb to the top for breath taking views of the surrounding countryside and explore the ruins of the ancient citadel. A symbol of the country's rich history and culture, Sigiriya Lion Rock remains a must-see destination for travelers to Sri Lanka.
- After exploring Sigiriya Lion Rock, embark on the village tour of Sigiriya to experience the rural village life of Sri Lankans. Enjoy a bullock cart ride through the village, paddle a catamaran boat ride on a lake and meet locals in the village. You can learn about the ancient farming practices, see the traditional mud houses, and sample the delicious local cuisine. From exploring the bustling village markets to participating in handicraft workshops and cultural performances, the Sigiriya village tour offers a fascinating glimpse into the country's rich cultural heritage.
*Overnight stay in Sigiriya
Day 11 - Last Day in the Commercial Capital: Colombo
- Leave from Sigiriya and proceed to the cosmopolitan city of Sri Lanka, ‘’Colombo’’ – 4 hours journey
- Reach Colombo in the afternoon and embark on a city tour of Colombo. Visit the highlight landmarks such as Independence square building, BMICH Building, Colorful Gangarama Temple, and Galle Face Green
- Check in to your hotel in Colombo and enjoy the last day
*Overnight stay in Colombo
Day 12 - Flying Back home after an amazing tour of the Paradise
- You will be transferred to Colombo International Airport after an astonishing tour in the paradise island – Sri Lanka
Reviews For the Tour
Tour reviews help travelers make informed decisions, provide feedback for tour operators, and ensure a positive travel experience.
- 3 Star/ 4 Star /5 Star Hotel Accommodations on Bed & Breakfast Basis & Half Board Basis
- Transport in an Air Conditioned comfortable car
- English speaking professional Chauffeur Tourist Guide
- Entrance Fees/ Excursion fees to the mentioned places
- All Government Taxes
- Unlimited Water Bottles
- Early Check-in & Late Check-out charges
- Other expenses of personal nature